In this uncertain year 2021, I prepared a simple yet effective checklist to see if the supply chain of an specific goods is vulnerable to be interrupted, or at least, if you as a Supply Chain professional, can get enough visibility to act and respond to an uncertain event that can trigger an interruption.
- Have you mapped out your entire supply chain with all actors involved?
- Do you have a direct line of contact with all the actors in your supply chain?
- Do all the actors in your supply chain have a procedure to inform you of any irregularities?
- Do you have a focal point in your team that can be contacted in case of an irregularity in the supply chain?
- Are you in constant monitoring of the goods progress throughout your supply chain?
- Have you done a risk assessment of all the main parts of your supply chain?
- If you know your main players in the supply chain, have you mapped out alternatives if one fails?
- Do you have a direct line of contact with the main decision takers of your organization?
Very simple yet powerful list. If you have not done so, get to check your supply chain on the main items that are critical to your business. Some have gone to at least one of this in the last few pandemic months for sure. Hope it helps dealing in a more sensible way with future disruptions to your specific supply chain.